Diocesan Heritage Commission
MEMBERS OF THE DIOCESAN HERITAGE COMMISSION
Bishop Joseph Toal
Rev Michael Briody, Chair
In 1902, the Archdiocese of Glasgow, in anticipation of Archbishop Charles Eyre’s diamond jubilee of priestly ordination (1842-1902), put together a photographic record of the missions (with their churches and chapel-schools) then existing in the Archdiocese.
In 1902, the county of Lanarkshire, from 1948 the Diocese of Motherwell, was represented by thirty missions (later parishes).
In the case of some parishes, like St Bridget’s, Baillieston, the intervening century and more since 1902 has seen little apparent change in the parish buildings. Others, like St John’s, Uddingston, have built new churches, while Fr Thomas Taylor’s development of the Grotto at Carfin was in no way evident in 1902.
So enjoy looking at these photographs. Enjoy thinking about how your parish and community has been affected since 1902 by various events – local, national, and international. Changes to industry, two World Wars, and the creation of a new diocese.
the majority of the original photos – the firm of Thomas Annan
preservation copies (used on the website) – Mr Mark Campbell
texts of the parish histories – from the Western Catholic Calendar in which they appeared in the early years of the 20th-century.