P1 - Eastertide
These exemplar narratives follow the core learning chosen by St Andrew's cluster group/working group and contained in the diocesan planning exemplars:
P1 Eastertide short version (click to open)
P1 Eastertide long version (click to open)
Exemplar narrative 1:
Holy Cross learning community meeting working group
Teach about the Passion of Christ, the Last Supper and crucifixion (Editor: leading on from Lent/Holy Week)
Possible Easter activities:
- decorate stones to represent the stone at the tomb
- rolling eggs to show the stone being rolled away
- discussing new life – lambs, chicks, spring, renewal of life
- Easter songs e.g. “New Life”
- Easter assembly – dramatisation of the Easter story
- Easter bonnet parade
- Out of the ark – Easter songs
Teach relationship between Christmas and Easter – birth and death, beginnings and endings, preparation times (Advent – Christmas/ Lent – Easter)
Prayerful reflection – meditative prayer
Exemplar narative 2:
Trinity learning community meeting working group
Discuss the sequence of events during Holy Week - sequence and label activity:
- dramatise the Last Supper
- children illustrate the Last Supper
- dramatise the events of the Garden of Gethsemane and Jesus being taken away and put on the cross
- children illustrate the crucifixion
- dramatise Jesus being put in the tomb
- children illustrate the soldiers guarding the tomb
- dramatise the Resurrection
- illustrate the Risen Jesus
Discuss the symbolism of Easter eggs
- design an egg
- roll the eggs
Hymn - Alleluia, alleluia, give thanks to the Risen Lord
Write: A class prayer - Easter promise.
Sequencing the stations (4?)
Say: Easter prayer - film.
Explain the reason for Easter eggs.
Re-tell Easter story.
Make: Decorate a Cross.
Make a card.
Make a picture of stone rolling.
Do: Hold the Last Supper - recreate.
Role play - Garden of Gethsemane.
Visit to Church to view Stations of the Cross.
Prepare a special class area.