P2 - Lent
These exemplar narratives follow the core learning chosen by St Aidan's cluster group/working group and contained in the diocesan planning exemplars:
P2 Lent short version (click to open)
P2 Lent long version (click to open)
Exemplar narrative 1:
Northern cluster P2 working group
- Setting the scene: colour of purple on class altar/display. A time of change, waiting, getting ready
- Ash Wednesday - attend service and discuss symbolism of ashes
- Fasting - sacrifice - almsgiving - renewal - forgiveness/reconciliation highlighted
- People to be prayer for - different types of prayer experiences offered to the children - display of people/groups to be prayed for.
- Bible stories regarding temptation and forgiveness - then share own experiences of temptation and forgiveness
- concept of Holy Week and especially Easter as a celebration - compare to Jesus' family celebration and own family celebration
- Palm Sunday - story and discussion - bring in palms from Sunday Mass (when not in school during Holy Week, can borrow in advance from local parish)
(Editor note: helpful clip about Palm Sunday and the significance of palms in Jesus' time thttp://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/the-riddle-of-palm-sunday/290.html)
- Holy Thursday - activities about Last Supper, the first Mass
(Editor note: useful 2-minute animation about Last Supper athttp://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/the-last-supper/4444.html)
- Good Friday - sequence Stations of the Cross
Praying hands Lenten promises, P2 Sacred Heart Bellshill
Lenten tree of hope (detail), P2 St Ignatius', Wishaw
Lenten tree of hope, P2 St Ignatius', Wishaw
Colouring, cutting out and sequencing the events of Holy Week, P1/2 St Gerard's, Bellshill
Stations of the Cross box containing children's work, P2 St Gerard's Bellshill
Stations of the Cross work, P2 St Gerard's Bellshill
Lenten prayer space, P2 Sacred Heart Bellshill
Lenten promise pretzls, St Edward's, Airdrie
Exemplar narrative 2:
Trinity learning community meeting working group
- make pancakes to use up sugar etc before Lent begins
- go to church and receive ashes
- Lenten promises
- introduce Missio and SCIAF
- promise tree
- liturgical calendar changing to purple
Visit to church:
- highlight Stations of the Cross
- Bible stories - Passover - Palm Sunday - chance to dramatise/art and crafts
(Editor note: helpful clip about Palm Sunday and the significance of palms in Jesus' time http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/the-riddle-of-palm-sunday/290.html)
(Editor note: useful 2-minute animation about Last Supper http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/the-last-supper/4444.html)
- highlight the importance of saying sorry
- how we can say sprry - ways of showing (personal prayers)
Teacher's own resources:
- colouring book
- Alive-O teacher's book
Hymn: My soul is sad
Prayer service and examination of conscience
Mass in school (before school once a week?)
Exemplar narrative 3:
Holy Cross cluster meeting working group
- Changing altar/display – liturgical colours
- Shrove Tuesday: preparation for fasting and abstinence
- Significance of Ash Wednesday – where ashes come from (Editor note: palms from previous year’s Palm Sunday burned)
- Lenten promises – Promise Tree for display – review at the end of Lent
- Good deeds jar – choose a good deed per day (ideas coming from children)
- Fundraising for charity – whole school
- Scripture –
Jesus at Last Supper
Jesus forgiving Peter – idea of forgiveness and reconciliation
- Reconciliation service and examination of conscience
- Stations of the Cross: images/meditation/prayer service (acting out the Stations – photographing each stage for display); use Stations of the Cross at Lourdes as pictorial representation
- Share a meal with the pupils e.g. lunch on Holy Thursday –emphasise Last Supper/important meal with friends
- Set family homework tasks – good deeds/learn a hymn/photos of a special meal
Can write personal Lenten promise for tree and reflect on how to achieve this.
Story sequencing of Jesus at the Last Supper
Discuss a time when they were forgiven, as Jesus forgave Peter
Can contribute to discussion of significance of Ash Wednesday
Make promise tree
Make pancakes for Shrove Tuesday
Make own Stations of the Cross
Modelling Stations e.g. with playdo
Change altar/display to correct colour and explain to other pupils
Display for Shrove Tuesday/Mardi Gras exploring history
Contribute ideas and involve in fundraising and share info with whole school
Exemplar narrative 4:
St. Ambrose cluster
1-18a - Discuss importance of colours - uniforms
- Use Liturgical Calendar to highlight colours.
- Allow children to change the class altar.
- Primary Resources Power Point (Editor note: SCES?) - Ash Wednesday
- Write down Lenten promise - display around class
- Carry Lenten Stones around (decorated by child) to show struggle and burden initially
then commitment and reward.
- "I am the vine, you are the branches" scripture class display - children branches -
grapes=recognition of God in others.
- Class Masses for additional prayer and almsgiving.
- Stations of the Cross - treasure chest.
- Lenten Charities - Sciaf - MIssio - Mary's Meals.
- Class Last Supper
- Bible Stories - Drama
- Watch different clips of various nationalities celebrating Easter.
- Visit a different Church to celebrate Mass and highlight similarities etc.