P2 - Advent
These exemplar narratives follow the core learning chosen by St Aidan's cluster group/working group and contained in the diocesan planning exemplars:
P2 Advent short version (click to open)
P2 Advent long version (click to open)
Exemplar narrative 1:
St Aidan's cluster working group
- Introduce and make a class Advent wreath describing the colours of the candles and of the Liturgical seasons.
- Participate in a weekly candle lighting service.
- Prepare and introduce the class Advent calendar.
- Explore the Advent theme through retelling the story of the Annunciation from Luke 1 26-28., discuss how Mary may have felt at the news, and describe the role of the Holy Spirit in helping Mary to say yes
- Teach the “Mary” song from Alive O 2 (Pg 132)
- Compose a class prayer thanking God for the Holy Spirit who makes us strong.
- Display and reflect on the words of the Hail Mary prayer in the context of the Annunciation.
- Pray together the first decade of the Joyful Mystery – The Annunciation.
- Retell Mary and Joseph’s journey to Bethlehem and discuss their preparations for the new baby.
- Involve the children in creating a crib scene within the class.
- Retell the story of the Shepherds and Angels (Luke 2:8-20)
- Teach the words and tune of the Gloria.
- Participate in a class/school nativity play.
- The Lion Illustrated Bible for Children. Pgs 152-159
- Bible Alive Publishing – Walk With me Advent Calendar
- Kevin Mayhew, No Pianist for Assembly (CD 2 No 14 Gloria)
- Alive O Term 1 Lessons 13-15
Exemplar narrative 2:
Taylor High cluster
Some suggested activities:
- Purple cloth on altar in class, discuss why we were changing
colour. Link to the priest wearing purple and changes in church.
- Make an Advent wreath, discuss significance of circle, berries and colours of candles.
Whole school, class assemblies.
- Have the children write a prayer and put it in Jesus crib.
- Put Mary in the crib and talk about Mary and the significance of her being our Mother.
- Talk about Jesus going to the temple and waiting. Link to own experiences.
- Do the children know about Jewish festivals ? Talk about Hannukah.
- Talk about and participate in nativity, sequencing task relating to story.
- Learn the Gloria.
- Teach the Hail Mary.
- Talk about their mums and their roles.
-Learn carols, hymns.
- Advent calendar, thoughts for the day.
- Day by day advent.
- Fill in their own advent calendar, follow activity for the day.
- Making hampers, thinking about those less fortunate.
Write - Sequencing task
- Motto of the day for Advent
- Write a prayer.
Say - Talk about "Purple" cloth and vestments
- Gloria and Hail Mary
- Thoughts for Advent
- Significance of Mary and Jesus
- Hymns and Carols.
Make - A wreath
- Own advent calender.
Do - Class/School assembly.